Thai butternut and coconut soupPosted: November 16, 2011
This recipe is from the Whole Foods website, but here’s how I did it.
1. Chop 1 onion and 1 clove of garlic, and cook in oil for 5 minutes, until soft.
Stir in the following, and cook 1 minute:
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger (I keep ginger root in the freezer and grate it as I need it)
- 1 teaspoon curry paste (or more if you like it spicy; I used green paste, but any will do)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut (or other sweet) squash, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups of stock (any will do, including bouillon dissolved in hot water)
- 1 14-oz can of coconut milk
Bring this to a boil, then simmer 20-25 minutes.
I also tried this with some fish sauce and lime juice added after cooking, and it was nice, but didn’t ‘wow’ me, so I’d say the basic ingredients above should do the trick.